Fil-Am college students on Charlottesville uproar: “no place for hate”

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA — Just a day after his belated condemnation of the Ku Klux Klan and neo-Nazis, President Trump backtracked to his initial statements on the violence in Charlottesville.

“Excuse me, I’ve condemned neo-Nazis. I’ve condemned many different groups. But not all of those people were neo-Nazis, believe me. Not all of those people were white supremacists by any stretch,” he said. “Those people were also there because they want to protest the taking down of a statue, Robert E. Lee.”

He pins responsibility on Saturday’s violence on both the swastika-bearing alt-right protesters and what he calls the alt-left.
“I think there’s blame on both sides. You look at both sides. I think there’s blame on both sides. And I have no doubt about it.”
But for Charlottesville residents, it is clear that theirs is the side defending this peaceful college town from the side of hate led by alt-right white supremacist David Duke.

Filipino-Americans are among the University of Virginia students who stood up against the white supremacists and neo-Nazis on their very own campus.

“Knowing that there are people spreading this hate on the lawn, that I walk to like walk on everyday to go to class, it’s just disheartening,” says Danielle Dacanay, from the Organization of Young Filipino Americans. “I feel like they were not only spreading the hate, they were also ripping students of their safety.”
Despite all the hate that Charlottesville experienced the past few days, Filipino-Americans remain optimistic about their future in Trump’s alternate America.

“I really think about, do I want there to be a world that my kids can still learn Tagalog, or that they could still eat the food that I eat and not be seen as different, and not be seen as not part of this country,” said Joe Malasa.

The writing on the walls and on the streets of Charlottesville says it all — this peace-loving college town has no place for hate.

• Mario
    18 August 2017 at 3:51 am - Reply

General Robert LEE was offered by Prez Lincoln to head the Union Army, he declined, join the rebel group,went back to Virginia to head the Confederate Army, until his surrender to Lincoln… Every Confederate statue was erected by the Democrat, finally the Democrat cannot stand their own history..its stink.so they started taking down Gen Lee’s(being a slave owner) statue and many confederate hero’s.Thank you Democrat … but why .. blame it to Trump.

• HELLO
    19 August 2017 at 4:42 pm - Reply

Excuse me, who in the hell is this dumb Young Filipino Americans think they are? Look your parents wasn’t even born when this thinks was happening in the 1960s, I was was born in the 1950s and kids you all would be “KILL” if you open your big mouth like today. Look this is my country not your country, so watch-out what you all say, do you understand. And I’m not white or Black but Asian born in America. My dad came from the Philippines in 1946 at a age 17 years old and got married to my mom A Filipino born girl in America and we didn’t act like we were smart, but we all watch what we said about what was happening in America with the Whites and the Blacks, because that days you would be kill if you did something wrong, how many Blacks got kill a lot. In America until today the “WHITES” Is the power color, and that kids you going have to understand,like it or not!

• Arbi
      20 August 2017 at 1:34 pm - Reply

You just proved the stupidity of your breed with that dumb comment. Would you rather that you get punched and beaten for your hatred?

• HELLO
        21 August 2017 at 8:52 pm - Reply

@ Arbi, who in the hell would punch a American, maybe a dumb Filipino like you that is a troll, that has a big mouth. Go hide your face because you not wanted in America.

• Arbi
          22 August 2017 at 6:25 am - Reply

You’re just pathetic wastes of skin that hate themselves for being such failures. Fool!

• HELLO
            23 August 2017 at 7:42 pm -

Arbi, what is your real name? Is it ass hole or fuck up face? Look troll get off saying thinks like your smart? But is as dumb like your father and mother. Dumb Filipino.

• Arbi
            23 August 2017 at 8:09 pm -

“Hello” – if you’re going to spew insults, at least use your real name … fool!

• HELLO
    24 August 2017 at 9:17 pm - Reply

@ Arbi, what my real name is, I’m a real American and your a fucking “TROLL.” So go fuck a “DOG.”

• Arbi
      25 August 2017 at 1:58 pm - Reply

If you’re embarrassed of who you are, that should be a clue!